The Merry Beggars
The Merry Beggars (TMB) is the entertainment division of Relevant Radio, a Catholic radio network reaching 220 million people. We create exceptional entertainment that inspires families to seek virtue and adventure. Our shows have received over 1,000,000 downloads. And we’re just getting started.
The educational materials writer is a volunteer position (3-5 hours per week) responsible for creating content for companion guides to The Saints series. Families use these materials to help their children more deeply engage in our audio dramas in fruitful and virtue-building ways.
We are seeking a detail-oriented, creative, organized, and highly mission-oriented individual for this volunteer position. The Educational Materials Writer will work with an existing template to create discussion questions, word searches, fill-in-the-blanks, and activity prompts for a companion guide to be released with each The Saints series. They will be part of a larger working team developing these materials for families across the nation. The Educational Materials Writer will be provided with unreleased scripts and audio in order to create this content.
The people who consistently succeed at The Merry Beggars live and breathe our core values, listed below. If these values resonate with you and you answer ‘yes’ to the questions, you may be a fit for The Merry Beggars.
Culture Changing Catholic: We follow Jesus Christ and are on a mission to glorify God. We don’t accept the cultural status quo. We draw upon thousands of years of painting, sculpture, storytelling, and experience to inspire us and give us direction.
- Do you wholeheartedly agree with the Catholic Church’s moral teachings and deposit of faith? Do you seek God’s guidance in your life?
- ** Note: Contractors need not be Catholic or Christian, but will generally not succeed if they are anti-Catholic or anti-Christian.**
Professional Excellence: We delight in excellence, exceeding expectations in every area. We tend to the details no one will see. From developing scripts to welcoming actors to designing sound, we strive for perfection in all areas of our craft.
- Do you demand high standards of yourself? Are you driven by a desire for achievement and excellence? Are you dissatisfied until all the details in a project are exceptional?
Total Ownership: Our job isn’t done until the job is done. We hold ourselves responsible for all results, no matter the circumstances. We find a path or invent one. We never take an excuse.
- Do you follow up on projects until you achieve the results? Do you do whatever it takes to get the job done instead of blaming others and making excuses? Do you own failures in order to maximize your own growth?
Continual Growth: We are driven to realize potential, professionally and personally. Opportunities are responsibilities entrusted to us for the good of others. We strive to have the greatest impact possible. We constantly seek growth. We are never done.
- Do you consistently seek out self-development, instead of waiting to be trained by others? Do you consistently challenge yourself and seek growth in your personal life?
Hungry: We work hard. We are passionate about our mission, care deeply about our people, and settle for nothing less than excellence. We are humble, entitled to nothing. We embrace challenge, leaving everything on the field.
- Are you self-motivated to accomplish ambitious projects? Have you overcome massive obstacles to achieve your goals? Do you make your own luck?
Open & Honest: We share openly and challenge directly, always seeking the greater good of the other person and our company. Truth builds trust, which builds teamwork, which builds passion and excitement, which fuels growth and excellence.
- Do you seek out constructive feedback - and offer it to others - to solve issues and build trust with coworkers?
- Review unreleased “The Saints” episodes, in script and audio form.
- Create content for Weekly companion guides (discussion questions, activities, word searches, etc.)
- Review and incorporate feedback from the production team.
- Attend meetings to discuss work and collaborate.
- Help create additional content as needed.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Experience and/or comfort with learning new software platforms (e.g. Google Workspace, Zoom, Slack, Adobe InDesign)
- Highly organized, detail-oriented, and mission-aligned
- Background in Classical Education, Teaching, and/or the Liberal Arts
- Match TMB Core Values (listed above)
Timing, Location, Compensation
- TMB is seeking to fill this position with the right candidate as soon as possible.
- This is a remote volunteer position with an expected 3-5 hour weekly commitment.